Look at this photograph and consider the challenges of fighting a fire in the bitter cold.
- It’s bitter cold and you need to put people into it for hours while you battle a fire
- Those people are getting covered in water
- the water you’re spewing onto the structure is freezing as soon as it leaves the tip of the hose
- you’re icing over the trucks, the ladders, pretty much every tool you’re using
- The truck that you’re spewing water from is now sitting in freezing water
- you’ve added thousands and thousands of pounds of weight to a weakening structure
I’m sure there are more, but this is what immediately comes to mind. I do not envy the men and women of the Fire Department - but I’m glad they’re there.